Wednesday, February 4, 2009

There's Always a Rainbow After the Storm

In one of the stars
I shall be living
In one of them
I shall be laughing
And so it will be
as if all the stars
were laughing
when you look
at the sky at night

~ The Little Prince
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The above poem is written on a card I received from one of my best friends, Danielle. I was so touched by the words, and the fact that the card is about stars because everyone knows I'm obsessed with them!

To say I've had a difficult week does not even come close to summing up the tragedy that struck my family this past Saturday. I know I'm a strong person, but everyone's strength is put to test at some point, so I guess it was my turn. But, there's a silver lining in every storm cloud. My silver lining is friendship.

I've always felt that I have the greatest friends a person could ask for, and those feelings were confirmed this week. I cannot even begin to explain how grateful I am to everyone who called, e-mailed, sent a text, card, Facebook message, etc. to see how I was doing and to remind me that I don't have to deal with this alone. I'm a crazy combination of sad, frustrated, angry and numb...yet I'm happy at the same time. I'm happy because I know I have an amazing group of friends from all across the country who are refusing to let me fall.

To me, the word friend is synonymous with family. So thanks to each and every one of you for being a part of my family and for reminding me that life has to go on.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is the title of this post: "There's always a rainbow after the storm." Starting tomorrow at 6:05 p.m., I'll be on my way to Europe...first London, then Barcelona to be exact. This trip is a blessing in disguise and couldn't have come at a more appropriate time, so I'd like to think this is the rainbow after the storm. I have to thank everyone again for not allowing me to cancel this trip.

Like good friends always do, everyone keeps asking what they can do to help. So here's my assignment for you while I'm gone....

Please continue to keep my family in your thoughts and prayers.




5 comments:

Sarah said...

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

I love that quote as well. I am really thankful to have you in my life! I know you'll have the time of your life in Europe- especially since you're sharing it with someome you love! See you when you return. Bon Voyage!

metrogal84 said...

I love you, Nikki.

And I can't wait to see you when you return; I feel lost without you, sister!

Jeff said...

Hey,

I'm not sure if you are back yet but be sure to give me a call wen things settle down. I've been thinking about you a lot and hope you are having a great time in Europe. I'm very jealous. I need to hear/see all about it. Stay up kid! Miss you - J

Unknown said...

Hey sweetie!

I always picture grampa as Orion. Beautiful poem, Danielle's a sweetie too!

-Aunt Lynette

Warrenetta Baker said...

Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life. This is a quote by Burton Hills and I firmly believe in it. Yours is a nice blog.