Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Bit 'o Creative Humor to Explain the Different Communications Industries

Many professionals in communications industries can attest to the fact that the general public thinks of advertising, marketing and public relations as one in the same. True, these three industries directly correlate with each other, but at the same time they are distinctly different. This about.com article actually gives a pretty good comparison between PR and advertising. Check it out if you're having trouble grasping the differences.

Friends/relatives always seem to ask me the same question: "So, what exactly do you do in public relations?" While sifting through some very old and random e-mails I saved (I knew they would come in handy one day!), I found this hilarious and very creative e-mail from my PR gal-pal and fellow CMU grad, Raychel. Maybe us PR pros should start rattling off these analogies the next time someone asks us to explain the differences between the below industries! If this serves for nothing more than a good laugh, then it serves a purpose after all :)


The buzzword in today's business world is MARKETING.
However, people often ask for a simple explanation of "Marketing."

Well, here it is:

You're a woman and you see a handsome guy at a
party. You go up to him and
say, "I'm fantastic in bed."

That's Direct Marketing.
--------
You're at a party with a bunch of friends and see a
handsome guy. One of
your friends goes up to him and pointing at you
says, "She's fantastic in bed."

That's Advertising.
-------------
You see a handsome guy at a party. You go up to him
and get his telephone
number. The next day you call and say, "Hi, I'm
fantastic in bed."

That's Telemarketing.
--------------------
You see a guy at a party, you straighten your
dress. You walk up to him and
pour him a drink. You say, "May I?" and reach up to
straighten his tie,
brushing your breast lightly against his arm, and
then say, "By the way, I'm fantastic in bed."

That's Public Relations.
----------------------
You're at a party and see a handsome guy. He walks
up to you and says, "I
hear you're fantastic in bed."

That's Brand Recognition.
-------------------------
You're at a party and see a handsome guy. He
fancies you, but you talk him
into going home with your friend.

That's a Sales Rep.
------------------------
Your friend can't satisfy him so he calls you.

That's Tech Support.
-----------------------
You're on your way to a party when you realize that
there could be handsome
men in all these houses you're passing. So you
climb onto the roof of one
situated towards the center and shout at the top of
your lungs, "I'm fantastic in bed!"

That's Junk Mail.
-------------------------
You are at a party, this well-built man walks up to
you and grabs your ass.

That's the Governor of California.
-------------------------------
You like it, but 20 years later your attorney
decides you were offended.

That's America.

4 comments:

metrogal84 said...

I got this email back in the day, but I am SO happy you posted this because it's flippin' hilarious...And, the About.com article is cool too.
I'm thinkin' I should send half of my family there since (and God bless them), they just still don't GET it!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. Thanks for posting it!

Raychel said...

Holy cow, Nikki...how long have you had that crazy email!? HA HA HA At any rate...glad I could be such a good resource for ya! ;)

Ironically, I've tried to explain the difference in communcation industries to a certain member of the male gender and it wasn't until he read this post last night that it actually clicked! So thanks! I owe you one.

Tony Cesaro said...

That Raychel character is sooooo full of it! I understood what PR is all about much before this sillyness! What's she thinking!?

Actually, I probably don't know squat about what you all (not ya'll, I'll never conform to the south) do, just as much as my job (UNIX system administration) will always be an enigma. HahA!