Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Target Fireworks Light Up Detroit's Sky for 50th Year

** Photo obtained from DetroitYES forum, taken from Coach Insignia in the Ren Cen.

In my world, fireworks = happiness. Every year, I look forward to the Target Fireworks (it was the 50th annual this year!) on the Detroit River. Back when I was a youngster, I would go over to the Canada/Windsor side and spend the entire afternoon and evening there anxiously awaiting one of the best fireworks shows in the country. Now that I'm an old-timer and have a job, I unfortunately cannot spend "fireworks day" lounging on a blanket and stuffing my face. But luckily, I was fortunate enough to have General Motors passes to watch the fireworks up close and center on the gorgeous Riverfront Plaza. And it just so happens that classic rock diva Pat Benatar is kicking off the summer's COOLEST concert series on the Riverfront this Friday (sorry, had to get a plug in for Rockin' On The Riverfront!)

OK, back to the fireworks. I'm not really sure what it is, but fireworks and the Fourth of July really do make me happy and melt any worry or stress that may be encompassing my world. Even though I've seen the Target Fireworks annually for about seven or eight years now (shout out to my BFF Natalie in Arizona who I used to watch the show with every year!), the show never ceases to awe me. Yesterday, just like every year before, I sat wide eyed through the entire show with a gaping jaw admiring the bursts of colors lighting up the sky (and trying to make MAL enjoy the show as much as I was!). The show and the fireworks themselves are a bit nostalgic for me (if I tried to elaborate I would go on forever), but it's a spectacle that I really look forward to every year. It was so nice to see Detroit and the Riverfront filled with people all joined together for a common cause -- to start the Fourth of July and fireworks season off with a HUGE bang!

So congrats to all involved and the city of Detroit for pulling off another great fireworks display -- and for giving me a much needed excuse to chillax, sit back and enjoy one of my favorite events of the year.

No comments: