Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ode to Mushy Love Day

First and foremost, many thanks to Girl.in.the.D for giving props to the out-of-the-box Valentine's Day gifts that are offered at the RenCen shops. Check out her post, and you'll quickly become addicted to her blog that, hey what do you know, highlights the POSITIVE things that are going on in Detroit!

Now -- on to my ode to Mushy Love Day. I know there are many people in this world who think Valentine's Day is overrated and has been tainted by companies who make you feel guilty if you don't spend a gazillion dollars to prove your worth to the one you love. However, being the die-hard romantic that I am, I will always think of Valentine's Day as a way to give simple yet meangingful reminders to the person that you love -- whether it be through a thoughtful gift, card, flowers or my personal favorite....words.



If you are a sap who's a sucker for stories that make you go "Awww", do read this Free Press article where local couples share secrets to lasting love. Not only is the photo of happily-ever-after couples beyond adorable, but the "love secrets" shared by the couples featured in the article are absolutely priceless. Who knew that the secret to love is as simple as playing footsie in bed, learning to forgive, trying not to change a person and laughing together? Easy as pie, right? Most people who have been in a long-term relationship will beg to differ, but I firmly believe that it CAN be this simple -- so long as both people in the relationship work toward keeping their love alive and fresh, whether it be 10, 30 or 50 years down the road.



I hope there's a Bill Waddell in my future. Bill (who mind you is 80 years old and lives with his wife in a senior center in Farmington Hills), leaves his wife Hershey's Kisses under her upside-down coffee mug every morning. And Carolee, his wife, makes sure to cover him up when he takes his daily afternoon nap. If that's not love, then I don't know what is!



Maybe the perfect love story doesn't exist for everyone, and sadly will never exist for many people. But I refuse to step down from my "love should never die in a relationship" preaching post. And with that, I'm off to do the traditional love-day thang (regardless of the many eye rolls I've encountered along the way), and will continue to look forward to the day that I can tuck my Bill Waddell in for an afternoon snooze. :)





No comments: