Friday, October 5, 2007

Giving Back is More Than Just a Dollar Figure


"Success shouldn't be measured by how much you have but by how much you give back."


This quote really struck me because I made a promise to myself a long time ago that when I become wealthy one day (and by wealthy I don't mean a millionaire, rather a successful PR professional who doesn't have to worry about how I'm going to pay the bills), I will contribute to organizations that strive to better the community and world. I came across this article in Crain's Detroit Business about Art Van Elslander (you know, Art Van furniture stores) donating $6.5 million to fund the Van Elslander Pavilion at St. John Hospital and Medical Center. I hands down agree with Mr. Art Van's quote in the article:


“I feel that when you are fortunate enough to be as fortunate as we have (been), it's your responsibility to give back to the community.”


Giving back can be defined in a variety of ways -- not just a million dollar figure. Today the Franco gals took a much deserved trip out of the office to Fuddrucker's for lunch. We were fortunate enough to be helped by a very upbeat and bubbly woman who took our orders, and even gave us cookies when we forgot to show our receipts to prove we were entitled to the cookies. We all complimented the woman's efforts to her manager on the way out, and it really made me happy to know that she was being recognized for her efforts. I know firsthand how challenging it can be in the restaurant industry, and whenever I received compliments from customers I always felt that much better about my job.
Giving back truly can be delivered in small packages -- it's taking the opportunity to give back in any way that you can that really counts :)

No comments: