Sunday, August 23, 2009

Hey You, Speedracer. Slow Down!

I was working with one of our local TV stations Friday night on the Detroit Riverfront when I captured these awesome photos of a double rainbow. The evening started off pretty nice, but a storm blew in out of nowhere. There was rain for only 15 minutes before the sun peeked back out from behind the dark clouds, which is when the rainbows appeared. It literally happened before our eyes. We were watching the storm blow past us when all of a sudden the double rainbows emerged from the Detroit River.
Why am I sharing this? This was one of those "life's simple pleasures" moments. Our group of four marveled about how brilliant the colors were and how it's very rare to actually witness two rainbows form out of nowhere. We took a few photos and watched the rainbows as they faded away. Life slowed down for a few minutes while we took a breather to soak in the beauty. Then it was back to work. 

There's something I've noticed lately. The busier I get and the more I fill my time away from work with other activities (whether they be for personal or professional benefits), the less time I take to appreciate the things happening around me. I've been making a concerted effort to not always zip through each day in order to avoid missing those precious moments. 

There's something very serene about taking a few minutes to turn your brain off and quietly pay attention to your surroundings. You can do this anywhere - the cafeteria at your work, the grocery store or a park. You'll pick up on a ton of detail that normally goes unnoticed. 

So here's the takeaway: Slow down every so often and take in your surroundings. I'm learning those sporadic moments of tranquility can do wonders for your mental health.

1 comment:

metrogal84 said...

Reminds me of one of my fave Billy Joel songs (you should download it) - "Vienna."

Slow down you crazy child...

Good post -- it's true, we could all be a bit better about taking time to appreciate the small and wonderful things that happen in life!